Just 12 months ago, if someone had asked me what book I was currently reading, they would have been meet with a blank stare. In the past I had never been an avid reader. To me reading was a slow burdensome chore.
Toward the end of 2020 this began to change, but in 2021 I have developed a love for reading. Leading to an ever-increasing desire to learn. Not only do I read, but I try to apply what I read.
To become a good leader, reading is essential. It is also important that leaders focus on constancy. The things that we do consistently daily will eventually compound. I have been reading a bit every day. I was surprised to find that I had read so many books.
One of the key principles that I have learnt from this experience is what John C. Maxwell teaches, "We over-estimate what we can achieve in a day, but we under-estimate what we can achieve in a year."
I am very thankful to numerous people who have shared books with me.
So, here is a list of the books that I have read in 2021. They are in no order:
1. Half Time – Moving from Significance to Success – Bob Buford
2. Winning – by Jack Welch
3. Start with Why – How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action – Simon Sinek
4. Leaders Eat Last – Why some teams pull together and others don’t – Simon Sinek
5. 12 Rules for Life – An antidote to Chaos – Jordan B Peterson
6. The Strangest Secret – Earl Nightingale
7. Winning with People – Discover the people principles that work for you ever time - John C Maxwell
8. Change Your World – How anyone, anywhere, can make a difference – John C Maxwell & Rob Hoskins
9. Becoming a Person of Influence – How to positively impact the lives of others – John C Maxwell & Jim Dornan
10. Leadership Gold – Lessons I’ve learnt form a lifetime of leading – John C Maxwell
11. Good Leaders Ask Great Questions – Your foundation for successful leadership – John C Maxwell
12. The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership – Follow them and people will follow you – John C Maxwell
13. All Blacks Don’t Cry – A story of hope – John Kerwin
14. FOR – A growth strategy for work, an even better strategy for life – Jeff Henderson
15. Go for NO – Yes is the destination, No is how you get there – Richard Fenton & Andrea Waltz
16. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen Covey
17. Atomic Habits – An easy and proven way to build good habits & break old ones – James Clear
18. Selling Change – 101 secrets for growing sales by leading change
19. How to win friends and Influence people – Dale Carnegie
20. Nine Lies about Work – A freethinking leader’s guide to the real world – Marcus Buckingham & Ashley Goodall
21. Games People Play – The psychology of human relationships – Eric Berne
22. As a Man Thinketh – James Allen
23. It’s Your Ship – Management Techniques from the best damn ship in the Navy – Captain D. Michael Abrashoff
24. Leading from the Stop – Positive influence and heartfelt resilience in times of adversity - Elias Kanaris
25. Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
26. You were Born Rich – Now you can discover and grow those riches- Bob Proctor